Classic Alfa Forum

Starting a GTV for the first time in 12 years

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

turnermr Mark Turner
Beds, beds, UK   GBR
Hi
I've just picked up a 1750 GTV that has been sitting in a garage for the past 12 years. The engine turns by hand and I've replaced the oil and filter and syphoned the petrol but what do I do about the petrol in the carbs does this need to be drained

many thanks mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 01:02 AM by Skye.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
It's very likely that any gas in the carbs (the float bowls in particular) has evaporated, leaving a very hard substance (some call it "varnish"winking smiley that will clog or interfere with the operation of the jets, needle, float valve, etc etc. Unless the previous owner drained the bowls.

You will definitely want to take off the carbs and at least take off the bowls and soak the whole assembly in a cleaner of some sort. Even just soaking the parts in a bucket with fresh petrol will work (be careful). Or you can send the carbs out for a clean & polish.

Looks like your post is back from August, you've probably got it started by now. How's it going with the GTV?

Skye

Webmaster, The Alfa Romeo Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Alfa Romeo Spider

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links