OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, California, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
C'mon Don...show us some pics of your newly acquired Alfie!hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-12 04:13 PM by Skye.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
My interest is piqued....

Webmaster, The Alfa Romeo Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts
OldBlokesBro Avatar
OldBlokesBro Donald Legg
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
Sorry guys . . . When taking it out, I get distracted driving it, and forget to pose it for photos . . . here's a couple poor quality that I had taken right before, and just after bringing it home. I'm working out some of the "kinks" mostly oil leaks because it sat unused for a year prior to my purchase. I have located a parts source, (International Auto Parts) and pleasantly surprised to find parts are not terribly expensive. Back order parts are a long time coming, so will need to adjust and allow for those needed parts. Example:, having ordered a new speedometer cable late Sept, likely won't arrive until close to Christmas . . (but its only $25). Joan, my sweetie, is lobbying for to make a shopping list, and make an annual trip to Italy for my parts, in the future.

Speedometer is "ok', however the fitting that attaches the cable to transmission tail shaft, is damaged (by assumed unqualified mechanic), Anyway, it leaks gear oil from transmission when warmed up, so I need the cable for the fitting with O-ring..

Overall the car seems very sophisticated in design and engineering, sharing a lot of parts with the later 2.0 liter Fiat Spyders and sports comfort features not found in Fiats or MGs for that matter. (Electric windows, and side mirrors, AC, power steering, and of course the smooth single action soft top).

Promise to get some "posed" photos with some of our spectacular scenery as backdrop . . . . very soon.

Attachments:
002.jpg    50.8 KB
002.jpg

004.jpg    46.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
003.jpg    72.2 KB
008.JPG    54.4 KB
011.JPG    43.3 KB
MGBMK3 Avatar
MGBMK3 Mark Patane
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 123 by OldBlokesBro Sorry guys . . . When taking it out, I get distracted driving it, and forget to pose it for photos . . . here's a couple poor quality that I had taken right before, and just after bringing it home. I'm working out some of the "kinks" mostly oil leaks because it sat unused for a year prior to my purchase. I have located a parts source, (International Auto Parts) and pleasantly surprised to find parts are not terribly expensive. Back order parts are a long time coming, so will need to adjust and allow for those needed parts. Example:, having ordered a new speedometer cable late Sept, likely won't arrive until close to Christmas . . (but its only $25). Joan, my sweetie, is lobbying for to make a shopping list, and make an annual trip to Italy for my parts, in the future.

Speedometer is "ok', however the fitting that attaches the cable to transmission tail shaft, is damaged (by assumed unqualified mechanic), Anyway, it leaks gear oil from transmission when warmed up, so I need the cable for the fitting with O-ring..

Overall the car seems very sophisticated in design and engineering, sharing a lot of parts with the later 2.0 liter Fiat Spyders and sports comfort features not found in Fiats or MGs for that matter. (Electric windows, and side mirrors, AC, power steering, and of course the smooth single action soft top).

Promise to get some "posed" photos with some of our spectacular scenery as backdrop . . . . very soon.

Hey Don,

Welcome to Alfa World!! (Mondo Alfa).

When I purchased the MGB.... it was either the MG or a S4 Spider just like yours.

The S4 is the ultimate evolution of the 1966 Spider and a great looking car.

I will be catching up with Jim next week for an MGB run, but next time I am in Denver, we should do an Alfa run. Was there last November and drove up Pikes Peak!! Great hill!

Here's a pic of my ALFA running at Rob Roy Hill Climb- Round 2 of the State Hill Climb Championship here in Australia.... we won the Under 2.0 litre Sports Car class in the little Alfa for 2014.

Keep the pics of the Spider coming!

Best Regards

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ROB ROY WP.jpg    42.9 KB
ROB ROY WP.jpg

MGBMK3 Avatar
MGBMK3 Mark Patane
PS: The S4 Spider is probably a classic.... not a modern Alfa.

The 916 Spider is the modern one.

Attachments:
Alfa_Romeo_Spider_916_facelift.jpg    36.5 KB
Alfa_Romeo_Spider_916_facelift.jpg

MGBMK3 Avatar
MGBMK3 Mark Patane
Hi Don,

You might want to check out

Classic Alfa and Alfaholics in the UK for parts.

Many parts are cheaper and in stock rather than IAP.

Here's the speedo cable in stock with Classic Alfa.

http://www.classicalfa.com/products/EN089-SPIDER-SERIES-4-SPEEDO-CABLE-%28AND-SERIES-3-1988-ON%29.html?setCurrencyId=3

The shipping is incredibly fast 2-3 days from London to Melbourne Australia and quite reasonable..... especially if you get a few bits and pieces in the same order.

regards

Mark

OldBlokesBro Avatar
OldBlokesBro Donald Legg
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the recommendations . . . I' m saving that Web-Site for future reference. My Speedo Cable arrived priority mail, just yesterday. I'll get it installed as soon as I can use a lift. Is it just me, or is it awkward lifting these cars without damaging undercarriage? While I don't have lift, I have three friends that do. I was able to Jack it using the Jack points, but it's awkward.

Anyway, I've been learning the quirks, and nuances of this little roadster. Besides being a real eye catcher, it handles great. Holds a very precise line in a corner (when driven aggressively). I'm certain, it could handle greater lateral G's, if driven by a more skillful driver than myself. (I expect to get better at it, but it really seems too elegant a ride, to subject to immature "Hot-Dogging".)

Recently took a drive over to Gateway Canyons Resort for a club drive, had lunch and returned . . . distance of about 120 miles total, found it to be very much a comfortable touring car.

I'll try to get some more photos posted . . . By the way, that's a very impressive '72 Alfa in your avatar photo.

Don

Skye Avatar
Skye Webmaster Skye Nott
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
1964 Vespa VNB 125
1966 MG MGB "The Bomber RIP"
1983 Suzuki MC GS750E "Kate"
1986 Merkur XR4Ti "The Rally Car"    & more
Good point, moving this over to the Classic Alfa subforum. Last in a series starting in 1966, great run.

Skye

Webmaster, The Alfa Romeo Experience

Member Services:
Building the best online communities for auto enthusiasts

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1994 Alfa Romeo Spider

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links